A Critical Look at the Foster Care System
Incentives to Foster Parents
1. Judy Sheindlin, Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining, (New York: HarperCollins, 1996) pp. 109 - 110.
2. Child Welfare League of America, Report of a study of the foster family care services system of the Children's Services Bureau of the County of San Diego Department of Social Services, San Diego, California, July, 1989. pp. 43 - 44.
3. Jeanne Ambrose, "Beleagered Children After Deaths, Welfare Services Seek Safer Foster Care," Chicago Tribune, (July 24, 1994)
4. Rev. Ellis H. Casson, Chairman, Social Services Advisory Board, correspondence to Norman W. Hickey, Chief Administrative Officer, December 14, 1990.
5. Indira A.R. Lakshmanan, "Foster Care Standards Questioned," Boston Globe, (July 12, 1995)
6. Nora Gustavsson and Elizabeth Segal, Critical Issues in Child Welfare, (Thousand Oaks, Ca.: Sage, 1994) p. 94.
7. Renny Golden, Disposable Children: America's Child Welfare System, (Belmont, Ca.: Wadsworth Publishing Company, 1997) p. 47.
8. Judith Gaines, "The Pull: State Takes the Kids," Boston Globe, (April 21, 1996); Judith Gaines, "Splintered Family Gets on With Life," Boston Globe, (April 25, 1996)
9. Gloria Negri, "1990 Reports of Child Abuse, Neglect Up 17%," Boston Globe, (August 16, 1991)
10. Indira A.R. Lakshmanan, "Agency Admits Missteps in 2d Rape Case," Boston Globe, (May 25, 1995)
11. Richard Wexler, Wounded Innocents: The Real Victims of the War Against Child Abuse, (Buffalo, New York: Prometheus Books, 1995) p. 198.
12. Indira A.R. Lakshmanan, "Foster Parents Say They Are Not In It For The Money," Boston Globe, (September 11, 1995)
13. Testimony of Mario Biaggi, Foster Care: Problems and Issues, Hearing, Subcommittee on Select Education, Committee on Education and Labor of the Committee on Ways and Means, U.S. House of Representatives, September 8, 1976. p. 6.
14. 2002-2003 Nevada County Grand Jury, Foster Care Policies and Procedures, California, June 30, 2003. (Report is in PDF format).
15. San Diego County Grand Jury, Report No. 7, The Crisis in Foster Care, June 29, 1992
16. Final Report, Investigation: Department Of Family And Children's Services, 1992-93 Santa Clara County Grand Jury
17. John Wilkens, "Girl Weary of Custody War," San Diego Union-Tribune, (February 7, 1993). The names of the father, the child, and the foster parents have been left out of this account in the interest of privacy.
18. State of Washington, Legislative Budget Committee, DSHS Division of Children and Family Services Program, Report No. 90-4, October 19, 1990. p. 47.
19. Jeffrey Fielder, "Petty Case Draws Attention," Hastings Tribune, (June 28, 1995); Josh Stafursky, "Woman Finds Fight to Get Girl Back Frustrating," Hastings Tribune, (November 7, 1995)
20. Information has since been removed from the Lutheran Social Services Web Site, but see generally: Wisconsin Department of Health & Family Services, Understanding the Uniform Foster Care Rate, PFS 142, Rev. 11/01. Note that special care rates have been romoved from the current revision of the brochure.
21. San Diego County Grand Jury (See note 14)
22. "Alleviate Overcrowding," San Diego Union-Tribune, (January 3, 1994).
23. South Carolina Legislative Audit Council, Report to the General Assembly: Selected Issues in Foster Care, Audit, Reference: LAC/94-2, Chapter 2. (January 1995) Executive Summary.
24. Renny Golden, p. 161. (See note 7).
Next | Index | Back | Home
Last updated July 8, 2003